Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Outbox...I need one!


At Apartment Therapy, they've started the January Cure...daily posts to get people started on cleaning out, freshening up and revamping their homes.  

Anyone around here (besides me!) that needs to do that?

Day 2 is all about the OUTBOX.  Yes, I've read about having your "exit" strategy set up...a handy box for donations, ready to be filled as you declutter and then promptly removed from the house.  

The Outbox is a little different, however.  It's a type of halfway house - you can put anything in, but it has to stay there at least one week.  Then you can decide to give away, throw away, recycle OR KEEP that item! 

Sometimes, when I declutter, things just never make it into the donation box...maybe I can find another use for it, or I'll need it some day...  

Putting things into an Outbox is a different approach.  Separate out these questionable items now.  No stress; no worry.  Feel what it's like to live without that item for a week or two, then make the final decision.

Is this approach for everyone?  Maybe not, but it would probably help a fence sitter like me!  What about you?

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge believer in "to do" lists. There is such a feeling of accomplishment when you check stuff off that you get motivated to do more. I have to admit that the computer gets in my way -- taking time to check mail and blogs and FB and such -- I'm thinking of giving it up a half day a week?

    ReplyDelete