Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Translator required...


Weighing in...
Tucked in my basement is a box of my mother's British cookbooks from the late forties and early fifties. For someone who enjoys reading through old cookbooks just as much as reading a novel, these books have provided good entertainment.  

I'm a bit hesitant to try some of the recipes, however.  

Believe me, I'm tempted!  

In the biscuit section alone, there are choices I've never heard of or tried before... Shrewsbury, Grantham and Parkin.

BUT...

It's a language issue.

"A knob of dripping added during cooking..."
"After draining, add a nut of margarine..."
"Add one gill cold water..."

A knob of dripping?  A nut of margarine?  A gill of water?

"Add three shell eggs."

Don't all eggs have shells?

"Top and tail the young beans, and string if necessary, 
but do not cut them up."

Excuse me, but if I'm topping, tailing and stringing, those beans are bound to get cut up a little!

"Self-raising flour may be used for Short Crust, 
especially when fats are short weight."

Short crust?  Short weight?  

Translator needed.  Please apply!

If you're in the kitchen today, happy cooking!
Maggie





1 comment:

  1. The only one I understand at all is the string beans! I can remember my Grandmother topping and tailing them -- and never use a knife!

    ReplyDelete