Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Roast Beef Dinner...and a tomato salad


"Roast beef?" you ask. "All I can see are tomatoes.  What gives?"

True.  You see tomatoes.  

This, by the way, is one of the easiest "salads" imaginable.  And one of the best at this time of year, with tomatoes fresh from the garden.  

...sliced tomatoes

...drizzle on a little dressing, home made or a "good" bottled Italian

...sprinkle on olives and sliced green onions.

Can be made any size, perfect to take along to a potluck.

But, back to the roast beef!!

Last night, we had a "full meal deal" roast beef dinner.  I double-checked on the Internet for minutes per pound and discovered the following technique.  It works!  

1.  Remove roast from fridge and bring to room temperature. Note: I used a standing rib roast.

2.  Preheat oven to 500°.

3.  Sprinkle roast liberally with pepper, onion powder and other  seasonings.

4.  Place beef in pan (uncovered) and roast: 4 minutes per pound for rare; 5 minutes per pound for medium; 6 minutes per pound for well done.

5.  Turn oven off.  Leave roast in oven for two hours.  DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR.  

Our roast was very tiny and I was a bit leery about how it would turn out.  I must say I was extremely pleased with the results and I'm definitely going to try this again.  Sorry there isn't a picture!!

Happy Tuesday!
Maggie



No comments:

Post a Comment